Hiawatha Highlands & Soo Finnish Nordic Ski Club presents… Mabel Lake Tour 2019
- In person at Hiawatha Highlands’ Kinsmen Centre, 780 Landslide Rd, or follow prompts below for online registration.
- Registration includes lunch and trail refreshments.
- Limited quantity of food is available if you register after February 27th. Register early to avoid disappointment.
- Register at Hiawatha Highlands with the brochure Mabel Lake Ski Tour Brochure 2019 or online at Zone4
- Price: $20 adult, $15 youth. Trail pass holders pay $5 less.
- Fat bikers, snowshoers, and skiers are welcome!
- Snowshoers may participate on trail options starting at Connor Rd. Snowshoes are not permitted on the Crystal 5 km, Hiawatha Extension, Inner Loop Extension, and Olympic Extension.
- We ask those who participate with snowshoes or fat bikes to stay off the groomed xc classic tracks. Please yield to xc skiers.
- Trail is groomed for classic ski technique.
- The ski trail after the creek/bridge is challenging (Mabel Hills); only experienced skiers should proceed with caution. The trail to the bridge (Mabel Flats) is suitable for most levels of skiers.
Check in begins: 10 AM
Mass start time: 11 AM
Individual start time: 11 AM – 12 PM
Trail support removed at 2:30 PM
Lunch available: 1 – 3 PM
There are two warm-up-rest-stops with hot drinks, water, and cookies. Rest stops are located at the bridge/creek crossing and at the lake.
All registrations include hot lunch (sloppy joes – vegetarian and gluten free option available) catered by Café Natüra in the Kinsmen Centre. Veggies, refreshments, and desserts included.
Round Trip Trail Distance
The “Half-Mabel” – approx. 6 km
Connor Rd parking lot to first rest stop and return along creek side to parking lot. Great option for younger children and those who avoid large hills. Snowshoe friendly; please stay to the side and avoid classic ski tracks.
The “Kin-to-Creek” – approx. 12 km
Kinsmen Centre to Crystal trail, Mabel Lake extension, first rest stop, and return on creek side to Crystal trail.
The “Connor-Mabel” – approx. 14 km
Connor Rd parking lot to Mabel Lake (two rest stops in total), return on creek side to parking lot. Snowshoe friendly; please stay to the side and avoid classic ski tracks.
The “Full-Mabel” – approx. 19 km
Kinsmen Centre to Crystal trail, Mabel Lake extension, and all the way to Mabel Lake (two rest stops), return on creek side to Crystal trail.
The “Uber-Mabel” – approx. 25 km
The Full-Mabel PLUS all of the Crystal extensions: Hiawatha, Inner Loop, Olympic.
For The Kids
Riddles on 6 km option.
Campfire and marshmallow roast at rest stops.