The Soo Finnish Nordic Ski Club offers a number of programs for skiers of all levels. Adult recreational skiers can improve their skills and fitness by participating in the Adult Lessons program. Competitive skiers have the opportunity to ski with the Senior and Junior Ski Teams and Biathlon Development Team. Younger participants can enroll in the Youth Skills Development Programs (Bunnyrabbits, Jackrabbits, Track Attack and Racing Rabbits) and the Biathlon Bears program.
The Youth Skills Development program provides young children with the opportunity to have fun and learn to ski at the same time.
The Jackrabbit Ski League Overview
The Jackrabbit Ski League is the most successful program run by Nordiq Canada in terms of the number of participants and geographic diversity. In 2005, 9,000 skiers were registered across Canada in more than 300 clubs. Since its inception in 1980, the Jackrabbit Ski League has introduced over 125,000 Canadian children to cross country skiing. In Ontario, the Jackrabbit program is organized by Cross Country Ski Ontario and is offered in communities throughout Ontario. The Soo Finnish Nordic Ski Club is part of the Northern Ontario District of Cross Country Ski Ontario.
The Jackrabbit Program was named after the legendary ski pioneer, Herman “Jackrabbit” Smith-Johannsen – a Norwegian immigrant who lived and skied to the tender age of 111. “Jackrabbit” attributed his long life partially to cross country skiing, a healthy outdoor life, and always striving for his personal best. Many of our current Olympic stars, including Beckie Scott and Sarah Renner, got their start in their local Jackrabbit programs.
Children seem to have an innate love of sliding. The longer and faster the better. It’s no wonder that, given the opportunity, they take to cross country skiing almost as quickly as to riding a piece of cardboard down the nearest slope. Learn-to-ski and skill development programs are designed for children and youth to take advantage of that spirit of playfulness, but also add the satisfaction of making friends, learning, and achievement.
The Jackrabbit Ski League is a skill development program for children. The program objectives are for children to:
- have fun
- improve fitness, balance, and coordination
- develop classic and skating ski skills
- make friends
- participate in time trials and races as an introduction to competition (optional)
- develop positive self-esteem
- develop an awareness and appreciation of our natural environment
- develop good technique and lifestyle habits early in life.
Youth programs run from December 19, 2020 – March 7, 2021. Lesson times for each level are listed on the 2020-2021 Program Schedule
Lessons take place at Hiawatha Highlands. Registration for the public will open late November and a link will be provided here.
|2020-2021 SFNSC Fees|
|Single Club Membership||$26|
|Family Club Membership||$64|
|Club Membership – when done at Hiawatha Highlands||Add $5|
|Adult Lessons||Free with membership|
|Wax Clinics||Free with membership|
|Junior Ski Team – 2 Days||$210|
|Senior Ski Team||$310|
|Summer Dryland – 3 months||$100|
|Summer Dryland – 2 months||$75|
|Biathlon Development||on hold|
|Biathlon Bears||on hold|
|Para Nordic||on hold|
1. A club membership is required to participate in adult lessons.
2. A family membership is required for participation in youth programs.
3. HST is charged on club memberships.
4. Program fees for youth aged 14 and under (as of program start date) are exempt from HST.
5. Club membership fees include national, provincial, and regional district fees of $19 per person.
6. If you do not wish to register for your club membership online, a paper form is available at Hiawatha Highlands once the business office is open in late November.
7. No refunds for club membership and program are available.
8. Programming is subject to local and provincial changes in COVID-19 policies and may be changed, reduced, or cancelled.
9. Membership in 2020-2021 requires individuals adhering to SFN COVID-19 policy, including future updates.
Annual Program Reports