September 2022 – Please be advised that the COVID-19 policy will be updated prior to the 2022-2023 ski season. SFNSC will follow provincial and regional public health guidance. Self screening for respiratory illnesses should be done prior to every session.
Soo Finnish Nordic Ski Club COVID-19 Coronavirus Policy
Date: November 4, 2021
To: All club members, participants, parents, and visitors
From: Board of Directors, SFNSC
Due to the COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic, we are taking proactive steps to address several areas of concern regarding the operations of the ski club. First and foremost, we want to maintain a safe environment and adopt practices protecting the health of club members, volunteers, visitors, and others. We also want to ensure the continuity of ski club operations during this pandemic.
The COVID-19 situation continues to change quickly as it affects the activities of the Soo Finnish Nordic Ski Club and its members. This COVID-19 Plan has been developed in consultation with resources from Nordiq Canada, Cross Country Ski Ontario (XCSO), Algoma Public Health and the Government of Ontario in order to modify operations to align with public health measures in place across Canada.
This plan may be updated as requirements change. All reference materials supporting this plan will be posted on the SFNSC website (www.soofinnishnordic.com)
It is important to note that there is no such thing as zero risk and that although measures can be taken to ensure participation is as safe as possible, participating athletes, coaches and participants will still be at risk for COVID-19 while participating. FOLLOW PUBLIC HEALTH GUIDELINES AT ALL TIMES.
Below is the return to ski policy. It is important that we all understand, embrace, and respect these changes. Please remember this is a challenging time to be planning programs. Our objective is to ensure our environment is safe, allowing us to share a great season of skiing.
SFNSC Return to Ski Policy:
- All coaches, athletes, leaders and participants engaging in SFNSC training and programming must be a member of the club.
- It is critical that anyone who is feeling at all unwell stays home. The health of our ski community, staff, and the wider community depends on this and is of the utmost importance to us.
- Self-screening for COVID-19 must be done in person prior to every session with the records being maintained for contact tracing if required.
- All Affected Persons (any coaches or volunteers that will be working directly with youth in programs) must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of participating in the 2021-2022 SFNSC winter ski season. At present, this policy does not apply to the youth in programs or spectators. (See SFNSC Vaccination Policy for more information)
- Access to the Hiawatha Highlands’ building (Kincentre) will be permitted with enforced controls for washroom use, rentals, and trail pass sales.
- An outdoor washroom will be located near the Hiawatha Highlands’ building.
- SFNSC’s blue clubhouse (including wax facilities) will be closed for use other than for essential access by designated volunteers and staff.
- During any indoor activities, SFNSC will provide alcohol-based hand sanitizers in common areas. Cleaning sprays and wipes will also be provided to clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces (indoors). Outdoor areas will not be sanitized. Avoid touching any outdoor surfaces (gates, signposts, etc).
- Employees, volunteers, and members of the public are required to wear face masks indoors and when unable to maintain physical distancing outdoors. This includes when in vehicles, storage buildings, warming stations and outdoor washrooms. Buffs are not acceptable substitutes for face masks
- Ensure physical distancing is practiced at all times
- Maintain a 2-meter space between people
- Limit the number of people participating in any activity (eg. ski groups, lessons) in accordance with guidelines provided by XCSO
- Do not congregate in parking lots or anywhere on ski trails
- Perform meetings online whenever possible
- Attendance of participants, coaches, assistants, (and where appropriate) participating parents will be logged to help with contact tracing.
- During any club-sanctioned event, provide routine environmental cleaning (doorknobs, keyboards, counters, and other surfaces).
- Avoid using pressurized air or water sprays that may result in the generation of bioaerosols.
- There will be a “no sharing policy
- Do not share food or drinks
- Do not have potluck-style meals or snack
- Use individual water bottles and instruct participants to bring their own snack
- Do not share equipment that cannot be disinfected between user
- Do not share personal protection equipment (PPE, masks, face coverings)
- Carry a plastic or zip lock bag to discard your own trash and take it home with you.